Saturday, September 01, 2007

And serve the ones that I despise
Speak the words I can't deny
Watch the world I used to love
Fall to dust and thrown away

- Worlds Apart, Jars of Clay

It's funny how as time passes, sometimes what used to be so important to you can just fade away, and you realise what truly matters in life.

I see how people in school pour their lives into earning all these great achievements and many of them have great dreams of going to oxford and cambridge or some other elite university, becoming a lawyer or doctor or a successful businessman. And when you look at their CVs, it's like wow! Leadership, honour and achievements written all over it. And I think all this is great.

But sometimes I think, and what comes after this? What comes after you're rich and famous?

To me, there are things that go beyond all these. How do I put them into words? They are heart to heart conversations, they are the company of people I love and care for, they are dull bus journeys made colourful through fellowship - in short, they're relationships with people, built on trust, laughter and tears.

It's hard to write these feelings down. The feeling I get when I get to have a nice quiet dinner with a close friend whom I haven't had the chance to talk to in awhile. I guess it's just one of those intangibles in life.

It's greater than any fame, title, career, money, status, grades or recognition. All these will fade with time and then what's left? We only get 24 hours a day and 7 days a week... and I guess we would spend our precious time on what's valuable and important to us. And I'm glad that most of what I invest my time in will never die away.

I think this will be my last entry for awhile... what with exams and everything coming. Study hard!