Tuesday, June 05, 2007

One of the most important people in my life once told me,

If this is your dream, then no one can kill it.
If your dream can die so easily, then maybe it is not your dream after all.


I guess it's really up to us to decide what our dreams are. More importantly, it's up to us to decide whether or not we want to guard our dreams.

I definitely want to guard mine.

When I was younger, my uncle used to drive me around and fetch me from place to place. And I can still remember how in each of these car rides, my uncle - who likes to talk a lot - would tell me how terrible life is, how people backstab all the time, and how we cannot trust people so easily. My uncle sure is optimistic huh? Haha.

But I used to remember thinking that my uncle was really cynical. Back to the present, I now realise that it's because he's been through a lot in life... life hasn't exactly been a bed of roses for him (as it rarely ever is). And yea, when you think about it, most adults tend to get really cynical and pessimistic about life.

Teenagers, in contrast, tend to be idealistic. Overly idealistic, most adults would say. Afterall, most teenagers haven't gone through as much as the older generations. Being almost 18, I'm in my late teen years and I'm starting to realise why people get more and more cynical as they grow older. I've seen friends around me go through problems and I've seen soft hearts harden after going through the flame of certain experiences.

Sure, I feel I've gone through a lot myself. But still, I like keeping that idealistic side of me. I like seeing the good side of things. I like thinking that life isn't so bad afterall. I like knowing that though life isn't a walk in the park, there's still that beautiful sunrise each morning to look forward to. I like the thought that I can make a difference in this world. At least the world around me.

But of course there's the fine line that you have to draw between being ignorant and idealistic. I'm not stupid. I know that bad things happen in life, and that there are idiots out there who do bad things. All the same, I choose to believe that people can change, and that everyone deserves a chance :)

I know this post may seem quite random. It's just somethings that I've been thinking about lately due to a certain incident in school. But I'm not going to bore all of you typing it out here. so well. This is an incredibly rambly post due to my incredibly rambly mood. haha.

I'll stop here before I start typing incoherently. hehe. But yea I just want to announce that this is my dream, and no one's going to steal it from me. (: