Wimbledon 2007
For those who follow tennis, it's been quite an exciting past week with Wimbledon 2007 showing.
This is Robin Soderling from Sweden who's seeded at number 28 in the world rankings. Last Saturday he took on world number 2, Rafael Nadal in the 3rd round of Wimbledon. A rather interesting match I must say! Delayed by bad weather 8 times, causing the match to carry on for several days and finally reaching its conclusion today.
I really admire the drive of so many tennis players. This particular match stood out for me not just because of its length, but because Robin Soderling was the first guy to take a set off Nadal in this tournament. Up against such a talented and powerful player, Soderling was obviously the underdog.
Nadal took the first two sets pretty easily, and held a match point in the third, but just as he was going to win, it starts raining cats and dogs!
To cut a long story short, Soderling, the world number 28, made full use of the opportunity to win that set when play was resumed and went on to win the next set as well.
Unfortunately, after a close final set, Nadal triumphed 7-5.
I really respect players like Soderling who keep pushing on against all odds. Even when he was about to lose to the match, he still hung on. Definitely an A for effort! There's just this drive in players like him that pushes them beyond their own limits. And it's this drive that I really admire. They know what they want and aren't afraid to chase after it.
I guess I really want to have this kind of drive in whatever I do too. That I give my 100% and even when things get tough, I press on and hang in there.
And I suppose many times, this applies in our walk with God too. There are times where the road is long and the valleys are deep, but do we have that drive and that passion to just hang on to God no matter what? To press in closer into His presence even as our world falls apart.
To have the will, drive and passion to chase after our dreams. Those are the people I respect the most.
Wednesday, July 04, 2007
Posted by
Jiayi
at
11:36 PM