Lately I've been thinking a lot about a certain feature of us humans...specifically, the eyes. Like for example, when you are talking to someone, how much eye contact do you have with them. I used to have a lot of trouble looking into someone's eyes for too long cause it would make me feel weird. But somehow I don't find it that weird anymore.. Sometimes I just keep looking at the person's eyes just to see when they will look away. Okay I know I am very weird. Haha.
But I find eyes very interesting! Like how you can get someone's full attention just by catching their eye from across a big room filled with people. And how gangsters can start a big fight just by having eye contact. People say that eyes are the windows to one's soul. If you study biology you'd know that this sort of is true, since technically when you look through someone's pupil you're like looking right into the person's head.
I think it's pretty cool how just your eyes alone can express so much emotion. I mean you don't even need the rest of your facial features. Anger, joy, sadness, disappointment, surprise. Like when someone gives you a "look" and you say "what? why are you looking at me like that?" It's like a message is transmitted just through eye contact alone! And isn't it interesting how you can adjust the intensity of your gaze to suit your purpose? Some people have really piercing stares, such that when they look at you you feel as if they can look straight into your mind.
Eyes tell a lot about a person's personality and character. Some people have eyes that "twinkle", isn't that funny when you think about it? I mean they don't literally twinkle and sparkle, but somehow they still have this gleam in them! I know people who can literally inspire others just with the life in their eyes. The opposite is true too... sadly, others have really dead looking eyes. I mean, you look at them and there's just no spark in their eyes! Does that make sense? Or is it just me. haha.
So, I was thinking, how much eye contact is considered socially acceptable? Like let's say you go for dinner for someone and have a conversation with them 1 on 1. I mean, it's easier in a group because you can shift from person to person, but when it's just two of you there's no one else to look at. I guess staring into someone's eyes too much can be quite disturbing and totally freak the person out. Yet at the same time, if you don't look at the person's eyes, there's just no connection! For me I feel that there's a certain connection created when two people look at each other's eyes. Isn't it totally intriguing?? I personally find it very fascinating.
Thus, I conclude that the most interesting/important feature of a person is their eyes.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Posted by
Jiayi
at
4:00 PM