Just got back from KL! I really fun and meaningful trip for me, with ups and downs :) Big thank you to Irenaeus, Anh, Shawna, Rowena, Yong Jia for such a wonderful 4 days and extra big thank you to Prisca for being a super host and taking care of all of us so well!
Overseas trips with friends are always fun but I must admit there are always ups and downs. Thank God though, that this trip wasn't as drama as the memorable eye-opening Chiangmai OEP trip in 2006. Haha.
Somehow it's inevitable that when you put a group of people together for extended periods of time, there will be some conflict and tension. I kind of wondered about this on the trip as there were times where many of us got on each other's nerves a little. Sometimes a lot. Haha. And I asked the rest and they all said they can't spend too much time with the same people and they need to get away for awhile sometimes...
I guess that is true 99% of the time. Evidence can be seen on reality tv shows like survivor, amazing race, america's next top model etc etc. I think the only time I didn't observe conflict arising when people spend an extended amount of time working with each other (or simply hanging out with each other) was in heart of God church.
Maybe it has something to do with the "nothing good to say, don't say" rule. Or to put it simply, the try not to gossip rule. I would be a hypocrite to say that I don't gossip, cause I do. But I feel bad when I gossip you know. It's not that I'm such a nice person. I just don't like doing to other people what I wouldn't want them doing to me.
I'm also someone who tends to try to avoid conflict if possible. I mean... I find conflict unpleasant and sometimes unnecessary so I guess that's why I try to be as accommodating as possible. Which may lead people into thinking I'm nice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not like that guy from A Series of Unfortunate Events, Jeremy Squaler(?), who was one of the children's guardians in book 6 or 7. It's not that I just simply AGREE with everyone just to be accommodating... I know when to put my foot down and say "no"!
So there..I've revealed it..the secret motive of why I appear to be nice. Haha
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Posted by
Jiayi
at
10:38 PM